The decision to use a recruiter for your open positions can make the difference between success or failure for your organizational goals. The outcome is based on two questions you need to ask yourself, both equally important:
- Why should I use an external recruiter?
- Which recruiting firm will I use?
Let’s tackle question #1, Why should I use an external recruiter?
The best answer would be, why not? Let’s review the pros and cons:
- Receive professional oversight and process management
- Saves time and cut down length of time a position is open
- Hire multiple critical positions in a short amount of time
- Allows ability to prioritize other responsibilities that were previously put on the back burner
- Your company already has an internal recruiting team (Working on hundreds of positions company wide, managing a candidate database, conducting phone screens, scheduling interviews… i.e. they’re BUSY)
- It costs money (but what is your time worth, and how much is that vacancy costing you?
Now it’s time to decide, Which recruiting firm will I use?
- Look for a recruiting firm that specializes in your industry
- Understand the firm’s time to fill and placement success rate
- Choose a Recruiter/Account Executive that understands your company culture
- Research the firm’s social media and reputation
Ultimately, the goal is to choose a recruiting firm that you feel comfortable with. You want a partner that you can trust to be an advocate for your department, brand, and company as a whole.