Over the last 100 years, the world has seen an explosion of technological innovation and growth that has made our lives more convenient and has given us a better quality of life. Initially, people resisted new technology and looked upon it with suspicion. Here are some fun facts:
- Less than 10% of families owned a refrigerator in 1930
- In 1960, less than 10% of families owned dishwashers and color TVs
- Less than 10% of families owned a cell phone or had access to the internet in 1990
Fast forward to today, and you realize how quickly we have grown and embraced our technology. I think few of us can imagine a world without a refrigerator, dishwasher, color TV, cell phone, or access to the internet!
Technology In The Mining Industry
The mining industry, pivotal in making those inventions possible, provides the raw materials that human beings have become reliant upon. However, it is one industry that has seemingly stood still in time. Although railcars and conveyors replaced Donkeys, mining has not readily embraced new technology and has traditionally preferred to stay with “the tried and true” methods and equipment. But times, they-are-a-changing! Here are some technological breakthroughs in the industry that have taken mining to the next level:
- Geographic information system, or GIS as it is now known, was brought into the spotlight in 1968 by Roger Tomlison in his published scientific paper “A Geographic Information System for Regional Planning” GIS has been lifesaving technology for monitoring and emergency planning in evacuating mines.
- Drones burst into the mining industry in 2015, when BHP started trialing drones fitted with military-grade cameras to provide 3D maps and real-time images for their sites.
- Autonomous Vehicles first came on to the scene in the 1990’s when Mining Engineers started to experiment with them. This technology took some time to be accepted. However, it now proves to be a valuable and lifesaving technology for the industry. These vehicles can go into areas that would be considered dangerous for the miners. The vehicles are not only helping production; they are saving lives.
Just as companies are exploring changing technology, Johnson Search Group stays on top of the most current hiring trends. Whether you are a company looking for assistance with a search, or a candidate who is looking for a new opportunity, Johnson Search Group has you covered.
Give us a call, and let’s have a conversation and see how we can help!