Although we live in a digital world, paper is still favored by many for notes, lists, documentation, and communication. With 300 million tons of paper produced worldwide every year, it is safe to say that our love affair with paper is not going away.
Here are some fun facts regarding our love of paper
- The United States is a big fan of paper. As technology advances, so does our use of paper. In the last 20 years, our consumption has increased by 126%, from 92 million tons to 208 million tons!
- I know many office managers will not want to hear this, but close to 50% of the paper printed in offices ends up in the trash can (or recycling bin) by the end of the day.
- A typical person in the U.S. will use more than 700 pounds of paper every year!
- It takes around 70 million trees annually to produce paper and paper products for U.S. consumption.
- We utilize 65,395,000,000 sheets of paper each day. That equates to about 815,000 pine trees a day!
- It is believed that Cai Lun, The Han dynasty Chinese court official (c. 50-121 CE), invented a method of papermaking that was inspired by wasps and bees in AD 105.
Other quick paper facts
- According to the Federal Reserve, the 2021 currency operating budget is $1,095.8 million.
- It costs 11.2 cents to manufacture a $20 note and 10.8 cents for a $10 and $5 note.
- Americans spent approximately 12 billion dollars in 2017 – just on paper towels!
Recruiting in the paper industry is one of our specialties
So, what fact surprised you the most? What is not surprising is that people love their paper!
Johnson Search Group knows the paper industry! We have an extensive background recruiting professionals in the pulp and paper industry. If you are a company looking to hire or a candidate ready to make their next move, give us a call!