There has been a lot of buzz lately about the “hidden job market.” But what exactly is it? The hidden job market refers to all of the jobs that exist, but don’t necessarily get promoted to the public. They may be high-level positions, jobs for internal candidates only, or openings that need to remain private for one reason or another. While the actual numbers are up for debate, it has been estimated that only around 40% of jobs are advertised online. So how can you put your hat in the ring for the other 60%? Here are a few tips for hacking the hidden job market.
Tap Into Your Network
One of the most valuable resources in your job search toolbox is your network. You would be amazed at some of the connections that your network have. Whether they can connect you with hiring managers at their company, or they have a cousin who works on a team that’s hiring, or maybe a spot just opened in their department! If you’re unemployed and actively looking, let everyone know! Post about it on Facebook and LinkedIn. If you’re looking privately, reach out to your contacts one-on-one.
Seek Out Your Dream Companies
One way to hack the hidden job market is by first understanding what you want. Make a list of your dream companies. Check out past job openings that were listed online to ensure that they have positions fit to your skillset. Then, seek out connections with current employees on LinkedIn. The more you know about the company and the stronger relationships you have, the better your chances of someday becoming a part of the team!
Partner With A Recruiter
Hands down, the best way to hack the hidden job market is to partner with a recruiter. (And we’re not just saying that!) Companies often give job requisitions exclusively to the expert recruiters that they work with. We have cultivated relationships with experts across the industry and often know about openings before they even hit the market.
So, whether you’re actively looking for a position, or simply ready to take the next step in your career, give us a call. We’ll chat about your career goals, your experience, and your options. And always remember, we work hard, we work together, we work for you.